Thursday, April 22, 2010

2nd Annual Eelkema Girls NYC Trip!

Wow, what a fun weekend! I laughed until I almost fell out of my chair, had sore muscles from laughing, and still laughed some more. I am so lucky to have such a FUN family! The first picture is my girl cousins over the age of 5 on on the Eelkema side. I have 2 more but they aren't old enough yet to make the trip.

This is my 5 aunts and all the cousins. This picture makes me smile. We shopped, ate, shopped, ate, saw 2 Broadway plays- American Idiot and Promises, Promises, ate, laughed, drank, laughed, and just had fun together. We also ran in a 4 mile race through Central Park Sunday morning. I'm so glad I have an active family! We had a great time.

My trip highlights:
- at 2 am in the elevator leaving a hotel bar, mom asking a 60ish year old man how he knew the 20ish year old Brazilian woman he was with- yeah, she really asked. awkward.
-almost falling out of my chair when Emily asked mom if she told the man who just asked her to go to Paris with him that she was Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz in high school
-enjoying a$750 bottle of Cristal champagne on our first night bought for us by a table of men- as you can imagine, a group of 7 loud and laughing women tend to draw a crowd
-being called the "blonde convention" at the piano bar we went to
-Barbie spending a couple of hours in the morning in a mud face mask and wondering why we can't take her seriously
-always congregating on a big bed to talk
-showing our purchases at the end of the day and oooing and aaaaing at everyone else's

I wish I had more pictures but I can't figure out how to get mom's off shutterfly and up here. Sorry. Maybe more to come. Thanks for the fabulous weekend girls. I really needed it.

5 comments:

Lauren said...

I want to join your family!!! How fun!

Unknown said...

i am still laughing so so much!! what fun memories!!

Anonymous said...

I would have the same bullet-pointed memories! so funny! i don't know what social bug has gotten into mom lately, but i love it when she gets chatty. words just spill out of her mouth recklessly and it's almost always inappropriate and hilarious.

"So how do you guys know each other?!" Well, mom, probably from the yellow pages. Mm mm, that is HILARIOUS. And the man who offered to take her to Paris and we had to gently let her know that he's probably homosexual. And then the text from dad about his offers. OMG.

I am rolling laughing as I relive all of this...

LB said...

how fun!! What a great tradition!! I would love to see more pictures if you get them.

I would love to meet for lunch sometime soon. Last time I saw you, I was slightly distracted and tired:) If you have an available Saturday, I could leave Ada with Scott and just bring John. Anyway...we'll figure it out.

Anonymous said...

I think next year, you should invite me since I have spent so much time with the aunties :) So glad you guys had fun!!