Thursday, April 21, 2011

Happy 95th Birthday Grandpa and Grandma!

Again very late, but better late than never. I'm hesitant to put pictures of my grandparents on my blog, because I feel like they look so much older in pictures than they do in real life. But one day, I'm going to want any picture like this whether they look different or not! So here it is. My grandparents turned 95 on February 2nd and February 28th. Grandma loves those 26 days when she can say grandpa is older than her! Our whole family was supposed to be there, but unfortunately mom and dad got stranded in Waco due to a snow storm. SO, it was just the kids and grandpa and grandma. What great quality time we got with them. My grandparents are incredible. They are what every kid dreams of in grandparents. They are loving, story telling, teach me everything kind of people. They used to come to Waco for 3 months a year in their motor home while we were growing up, so I feel like we got good time with them even though they lived in North Dakota. I'm so blessed to have them be such an integral part of my life still. I talk to them every Sunday and some times a few days between. Rachel says I'm a helicopter granddaughter. Oh well. They are both now 95 with fully intact memories, a little forgetful every once in a while, but who isn't and completely hysterical. We laugh so hard with them. Especially when Rachel gets Grandma going. I'm blessed.

Grandma hadn't seen Chris in a couple of years, so she held on tight and wouldn't let go the whole weekend. It reminded Rachel and I of what Mom does, so we felt right at home. We know where we stand.




Sorry Rach, I couldn't resist.
It was a quick weekend to get to Fargo, ND from the southeast but so worth it and a blast. We missed you Mom and Dad!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

G and G are the best in the world. My favorite memories with them, in random order:

1) when grandpa used to hug you into the glasses hanging on a croakie around his neck. Ouch! But so worth it.

2) grandma reading us a quick story or poem, and turning it into a song without a problem. And every song, no matter the genre, sounds like a hymn when grandma sings it.

3) Fort Fisher and the Brazos River Festival

4) Watching grandpa do his woodwork in the basement, or following him around the house while he completed mom's honey-do list on their visits to Waco.

5) Helping grandma bake cookies and having to do the measurements JUST RIGHT.

And also, the popcorn mouth picture in the wheelchair? Gross.