Friday, January 9, 2009

Am I really a Tri-Athlete?

This is the question. I think the answer is no. Rachel wants to train for one and for some dumb reason I told her I would too. Let me clarify. Not a long one, a "sprint" triathalon- 5k run, short swim, short bike. Clearly, I have no idea how long the swim or biking are. So, Adam and I set out to see what we could do today. We ran around the neighborhood this afternoon which is quite rough. I ran 5 miles at Christmas with my dad and apparently got a little cocky. I was hurting today. I bet we only did about 2 miles. Then we headed to Mercer to swim. I thought I was completely awful. Turns out, my endless summers of swimming lessons paid off! I was pretty good if I do say so myself. Adam swam every other lap with me. He was feeling like I did running. Anyway, looks like biking may be my downfall. Number one, I don't have a bike. We'll have to see if we really do this before we make that investment. Well, I'm not a natural athlete. At all. I do think if I train I could do this though. Pace is never my thing. I don't have a competitive bone in my body so really all I'm doing is trying to finish. The whole "you could be this person 100 yards in front of you if you push" never worked for me in high school cross country. No promises. It's an idea in infancy right now. I'll keep you updated.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

great, you're already ahead of me in training! Watch for your unitard in the mail. The first time I swam I really thought I was going to drown, absent any drama. I had to hang on to the lane marker so I wouldn't sink or swallow one of my lungs. Well done, good and faithful tri partner.

Oh, 800m swim, 10/20k bike, 5k run...in that order.

Jessica said...

hmmmm....way to go ladies! I think yall should totally do it!