Monday, January 26, 2009

Sugar Mountain

On the drive to the resort, I was skeptical. No snow covered mountains. Heck, no snow at all. How can a ski area exist here? Then, around the bend, an entirely man made snow area appears.
It's an entirely new skiing experience for me. I had never been skiing in the east and my how it is different. For starters, I skied on 120s. To get a visual, they were a little taller than my waist. Awesome. It was like skates. I thought maybe I just needed smaller skis here until I really thought about it. Then I realized they were probably out of the other sizes because it was late at night and fed me some line about different sizes. I bought it. Sad part is I could barely tell a difference. First of all it is really, really icy. Most of the skiers are beginners too. I could say they were totally out of control but I must confess I almost took a couple people out myself. There's no possible way you can ski controlled on the ice. At the bottom of one lift, the average fall rate of people trying to get off the chair was about 60%, and it held true in our group too. It was like an ice slide. Why wasn't someone putting snow on it? Adam's response is simply, "It's Sugar." Overall, the skiing was better than I had envisioned. Adam had talked it down so much I had very low expectations. It does hold true to the stereotypes- very crowded, icy, slow, unorganized, long lines, etc but totally worth a weekend trip.

We went for a birthday week for Adam's 25th. Cousins Liz and Steve and David came, Emily and Kevin, and Andrew. A good time was had by all. Our days were consumed with skiing, tubing, margaritas, Settlers, wii, and reading. I'm so glad we went. We're lucky to be blessed with family who are also friends. I'll post pictures later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So glad to hear about the trip. Looking forward to the pictures.